Adult Behaviour Policy

Norbury Hall Primary School Policy on Parent, Carer and Visitor Behaviour to Our School

January 2019

At NHPS we believe that relationships between the school, parental community and the wider area should be positive and that activities and events organised throughout the school year should complement this philosophy.

Whilst we believe that the majority of parents, carers and visitors are very supportive of school and very much model exemplary behaviour whilst on the school site.

Occasionally incidents occur where matters related to learner’s behaviour may cause parents, carers and visitors to interact in order to reach a solution. The Governing Body expects all adults on school premises to conduct themselves in a calm and respectful manner. Staff are expected to behave professionally during a difficult situation and where possible involve other colleagues to support the situation to resolve the situation efficiently and calmly. We believe that all members of our school community should have the right to attend our school without fear of aggression, violence or abuse.

Violent, abusive or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated on the school premises. If a visitor, parent or carer has an issue with the behaviour of a member of the school community whilst on the school site they should refer this issue to a senior member of staff immediately.

Behaviours that will not be tolerated and are deemed to be unacceptable are:

  • Shouting, either in person or on the telephone
  • Swearing, either in person or on the telephone
  • Inappropriate electronic activity including publishing abusive or content with regards to the school and its community on social networking sites or email activity
  • Hitting, slapping, punching, kicking, or pushing
  • Physical intimidation – standing very close / invading personal space
  • Using aggressive hand gestures
  • Breaching the School’s security arrangements

Whilst this list is not exhaustive it is intended to illustrate behaviours deemed inappropriate.

Parents, carers and visitors have an open invitation to attend events at our school. In the unlikely event of someone behaving unacceptably and breaching this agreement, where there are serious concerns the school will:

  • Instruct the adult to attends a meeting in the school with a senior member of staff and a representative of the Governing Body
  • A written statement will be given to the perpetrator stating the impact of the event and the outcome. This will also remain on file in the school behaviour log.
  • The perpetrator will be given a limited invitation to attend future events.
  • A ban to attend school events for s significant period
  • A ban from attending events without review.

If an adult has behaved inappropriately on the school premises to any member of our school community the school will take steps to ensure that support the victim and that the perpetrator is sanctioned for their actions.

In the case of a pupil being verbally abused or challenged by an adult in an aggressive manner. Parents or Carers should, if necessary, follow the School’s complaints procedures.

In situations where procedures have been exhausted and the final outcome agreed is to issue a fixed term or complete ban from attending the school site the following steps will be taken:

  • The adult will be informed of the ban in writing for the fixed period and clarity that if the ban is breached the police will become involved or an injunction sought if applicable
  • Where an assault has been reported a written statement will be issued and the incident reported to the police
  • A representative of the GB will support the HT in the management of the ban
  • Alternative arrangements will be clarified in relation to parents meetings and drop off and collection of children

The school will endeavour to investigate allegations fairly and act appropriately to reach a satisfactory resolution for all. Where necessary, legal support and Local Authority guidance will be sought.

How to Raise Concerns or to Make a Complaint about the School


If you have a Concern or Complaint

We would like you to tell us about it. Be assured that no matter what the problem is, our support and respect for you and your child in school will not be affected in any way. Please tell us of your concern as soon as possible. It is difficult for us to investigate properly an incident or problem that happened some time ago.

What to do first

Most concerns and complaints can be sorted out quickly by speaking with your child’s class teacher/head of year. Any teacher or member of the administrative staff can put you in contact with the right member of staff.

If you have a complaint that you feel should be looked at by the head teacher in the first instance you can contact him/her straightaway if you prefer. It is usually best to discuss the problem face to face. You may need an appointment to do this, and can make one by ringing or calling into the school office. You can take a friend or relation to the appointment with you if you would like to.

All staff will make every effort to resolve your problem informally. They will make sure that they understand what you feel went wrong, and they will explain their own actions to you. They will ask what you would like the school to do to put things right. Of course, this does not mean that in every case they will come round to your point of view but it will help both you and the school to understand both sides of the question. It may also help to prevent a similar problem arising again.

What to do next

If you are dissatisfied with the initial response, or if you do not want to discuss the matter informally, you can make a complaint. This will need to be in writing. Contact the school office if you would like some help putting your complaint in writing.

You may find it helpful at this stage to have a copy of the full statement or the school’s complaints procedure as this explains in details what processes are followed. This is available from the school office and on the school website.

If your complaint is about an action of the head teacher personally, then you should refer it to the chair of governors. Contact details can be obtained from the school office.

The head teacher will ask to meet you to discuss the problem. You may bring a friend or someone else for support. The head teacher will arrange a full investigation of the complaint and may interview any members of staff or pupils involved. You will receive a written response to your complaint.

If you are Still Unhappy

Most complaints are resolved at this stage. However, if you are still not satisfied you may wish to contact the chair of the governing body to ask for an investigation by the chair of governors or a referral of your complaint to a governors’ complaints committee. It will then be heard by a group of three or five governors who have no previous knowledge of the problem and so will be given a fresh assessment. You will be invited to attend and speak to the panel at a meeting that the head teacher will also attend. The complaints procedure sets out in more detail how these meetings operate